To expedite your passport application through the website, follow these steps:

  • 1. Complete Your Application: Start by filling out Form DS-11 if you are applying for the first time, or Form DS-82 if you are renewing your passport. These forms can be found on the U.S. Department of State’s website under the “Passports” section.
  • 2. Prepare Your Supporting Documents: Gather all necessary documents. This typically includes proof of U.S. citizenship (like a birth certificate), a valid ID, and a passport photo that meets the U.S. Department of State’s requirements.
  • 3. Pay the Expedite Fee: In addition to the regular application fee, there is an additional $60 fee to expedite the process. This fee must be paid at the time of application.
  • 4. Submit Your Application and Documents: If you are applying for the first time, you must do so in person at a passport acceptance facility. If you are renewing, you can mail in your application along with your most recent passport, the application fee, and the expedite fee.
  • 5. Request Expedited Service: Clearly mark “EXPEDITE” on the outside of the envelope. This will ensure that your application is processed more quickly.
  • 6. Track Your Application: After submitting your application, you can track its status on the U.S. Department of State’s website. It typically takes 4-6 weeks for an expedited application to be processed, compared to the standard 10-12 weeks.

Remember, expedited service is not guaranteed and the processing times can vary depending on the volume of applications received. It’s always best to apply as early as possible to avoid any potential delays.

Additional resources

In addition to the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs website, which directly handles passport applications, there are several other government resources that could be relevant to expediting your passport application.

The U.S. Postal Service (USPS) website provides information on where to submit your expedited passport application. Many post offices offer passport services and can send your application for expedited processing.

The National Passport Information Center (NPIC) is another resource. It’s a U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs division that provides U.S. citizens with information and assistance in obtaining, renewing, or dealing with problems related to passports.

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) website can also be useful. It provides information on international travel and communication that might be necessary when planning a trip abroad.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website provides health-related information for travelers, including necessary vaccinations and health advisories for different countries.

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) website provides information on what you can bring on your trip, which could be useful when planning what to pack.

Finally, the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) website provides information on what you can bring back into the U.S. after your trip. This could be useful when planning purchases abroad.

Our articles make government information more accessible. Please consult a qualified professional for financial, legal, or health advice specific to your circumstances.

We appreciate feedback from readers like you. If you want to suggest new topics or if you spot something that needs fixing, email us anytime at [email protected].