To obtain a passport for a child under the age of 16 at, you will need to gather several important documents.

  • 1. Proof of U.S. Citizenship: You will need to provide evidence that the child is a U.S. citizen. This could be a previously issued, undamaged U.S. Passport or a certified birth certificate issued by the city, county, or state. A consular report of birth abroad or certification of birth, a naturalization certificate, or a certificate of citizenship can also be used.
  • 2. Proof of Relationship: You must also show proof of your relationship to the child. This could be the child’s certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate (with translation, if necessary) listing both parents’ names, a Report of Birth Abroad, or an adoption decree with adopting parents’ names.
  • 3. Photo Identification: You will need to provide a photocopy of the front and back of each ID that you will present when you apply.
  • 4. Parental Consent: Both parents/guardians must authorize the issuance of the child’s passport. The best way to do this is for both parents/guardians to go with the child in person to apply for the passport.
  • 5. Passport Photo: You will need to provide one color photo of the child that meets passport requirements.
  • 6. Application Forms: You will need to complete Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport. Do not sign the form until instructed to do so by the acceptance agent.
  • 7. Fees: You will need to pay the passport application fee. The amount varies depending on the type of passport book or card you are applying for.

Remember, all these documents must be originals or certified copies. Photocopies or notarized copies are not acceptable. After gathering all these documents, you can then apply in person at an acceptance facility or a passport agency.

Additional resources

In addition to government websites, there are several other government resources that can provide information on the documents needed for a child’s passport. These include:

  • 1. U.S. Department of State: The U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs is the primary government agency responsible for issuing passports. They provide comprehensive information on the documents required for a child’s passport on their website.
  • 2. U.S. Postal Service: Many U.S. Post Offices offer passport services and can provide information on the documents required for a child’s passport.
  • 3. National Passport Information Center: The National Passport Information Center (NPIC) is the U.S. Department of State’s single, centralized public contact center for U.S. passport information. They offer services by phone and email.

Remember, when applying for a child’s passport, it’s important to review the most current requirements as they can change. Always verify information with a reliable government source.

Our articles make government information more accessible. Please consult a qualified professional for financial, legal, or health advice specific to your circumstances.

We appreciate feedback from readers like you. If you want to suggest new topics or if you spot something that needs fixing, email us anytime at [email protected].