To change your name on your Social Security card, you will need to follow a series of steps and provide the necessary documentation to the Social Security Administration (SSA).

Here is a step-by-step guide to help you through the process:

  • 1. Gather required documents: You will need to provide proof of your identity, proof of your legal name change, and proof of your U.S. citizenship or lawful noncitizen status.
    • a. Proof of identity: Acceptable documents include a U.S. driver’s license, state-issued non-driver identification card, or U.S. passport. The document must be current and show your name, identifying information, and photo.
    • b. Proof of legal name change: You must provide a document that shows your old and new names, such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree, court order for a name change, or a certificate of naturalization showing a new name.
    • c. Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful noncitizen status: If you have not already established your citizenship with the SSA, you will need to provide proof, such as a U.S. birth certificate or U.S. passport. If you are a noncitizen, you will need to provide your current immigration documents.
  • 2. Complete Form SS-5: Fill out the Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5). This form is available on the SSA website ( or at your local Social Security office. Be sure to provide all requested information, including your current Social Security number.
  • 3. Submit your application: Bring or mail your completed Form SS-5 and original or certified copies of your required documents to your local Social Security office or the Social Security Card Center in your area. You can find the nearest office by using the SSA’s office locator tool on their website. Do not send photocopies or notarized copies of your documents, as they will not be accepted.
  • 4. Wait for your new card: After your application and documents have been reviewed and approved, the SSA will mail your new Social Security card to the address you provided on Form SS-5. This process typically takes 1-2 weeks, but it may take longer during peak times or if additional verification is needed.

There is no fee to change your name on your Social Security card. Additionally, it is important to update your name with other government agencies, such as the Department of Motor Vehicles and the Internal Revenue Service, to ensure that your records are accurate and up-to-date.

Learn more

To learn more about changing your name on your Social Security card, follow these steps:

  • 1. Visit the Social Security Administration’s website at
  • 2. Locate the search bar at the top right corner of the homepage.
  • 3. Type “change name on Social Security card” into the search bar and press Enter.
  • 4. Browse through the search results to find the most relevant information. The top result should be a link to a page titled “Change or Correct Information on Your Social Security Number Card.”
  • 5. Click on the link to access the page with detailed instructions on changing your name on your Social Security card.

On this page, you will find information about the required documents, the application process, and any potential fees associated with changing your name on your Social Security card. The page will also provide a link to download the necessary application form (Form SS-5) and instructions on where to submit your completed application and supporting documents.

Additional resources

Before submitting your application to the SSA, you must update your name with the appropriate state and federal agencies. Start by contacting your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to change your name on your driver’s license or identification card. This typically requires providing proof of your name change, such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order.

Next, update your name with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to ensure your tax records are accurate. You can do this by completing and submitting Form 8822, Change of Address. Additionally, inform the United States Postal Service (USPS) of your name change to guarantee the proper delivery of your mail.

If you are a U.S. citizen and have a valid U.S. passport, you must also update your name with the U.S. Department of State. Visit their website to find the appropriate forms and instructions for updating your passport with your new name.

Lastly, if you are a registered voter, contact your state’s voter registration office to update your name on the voter rolls. This will ensure your ability to vote in future elections without any issues.

Our articles make government information more accessible. Please consult a qualified professional for financial, legal, or health advice specific to your circumstances.

We appreciate feedback from readers like you. If you want to suggest new topics or if you spot something that needs fixing, email us anytime at [email protected].